Books, books, and more books.


I LOVE BOOKS! That might not be that unusual but I also love all different genres of books. I read Science fiction, Christian fiction, Historical fiction, non fiction, Westerns, Teen books, kids books, and yes I like a good Vampire book. I've loved Vampires and Werewolves WAY before the Twilight books. I'm a bookseller at a retail book store so I get to be around books all day long. I've been a bookseller for two stores at different times so I've been doing this for over 13 years. Recently, with the advancement of ebook readers I've become a Nookseller, as well, selling Nook ebook readers, accessories, and ebooks. I have a Nookcolor which is wonderful and one of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten. I can carry THOUSANDS of books around with me and read as much as possible. When I thought about writing a blog, I thought why not write about the wonderful, and the not so wonderful books that I am reading. Maybe give somebody a behind the cover look at a book they are thinking about reading or helping them discover a new series. A way to share my love of books and the true joy that they can bring.

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird

17th century Scotland was not a safe time, nobody knew this better than teenager Maggie Blair. Maggie's parents are both dead and she lives with her grandmother who most people think is strange and walks around talking about the devil and cursing people. The only thing they have that is worth anything is their land and when a wealthy land owner sets his sights on it he sees an easy way to get it. Maggie and her grandmother are soon accused of being witches and made to stand trial in the church. Many of the villagers testify against them because of their dislike for Maggie's grandmother. The land owner has his maid and mistress make up things and testify against them as well. Mostly because of the testimony of the maid, they are sentenced to be hanged and then burned. Maggie escapes with the help of an old family friend. She goes to stay with her Uncle and ends up in even bigger trouble when they arrest him for heresy. Can Maggie save her uncle? And what happens when the maid who testified against her shows up at every turn just to ruin her. Will people ever forget that she was the witch's granddaugther. Very enjoyable, exciting, historical fiction. Great for ages 13 and up. This was an advance readers copy through Netgalley.com from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt publishing. Just released in hardcover format.

No comments: