Books, books, and more books.


I LOVE BOOKS! That might not be that unusual but I also love all different genres of books. I read Science fiction, Christian fiction, Historical fiction, non fiction, Westerns, Teen books, kids books, and yes I like a good Vampire book. I've loved Vampires and Werewolves WAY before the Twilight books. I'm a bookseller at a retail book store so I get to be around books all day long. I've been a bookseller for two stores at different times so I've been doing this for over 13 years. Recently, with the advancement of ebook readers I've become a Nookseller, as well, selling Nook ebook readers, accessories, and ebooks. I have a Nookcolor which is wonderful and one of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten. I can carry THOUSANDS of books around with me and read as much as possible. When I thought about writing a blog, I thought why not write about the wonderful, and the not so wonderful books that I am reading. Maybe give somebody a behind the cover look at a book they are thinking about reading or helping them discover a new series. A way to share my love of books and the true joy that they can bring.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel

The Land of the Painted Caves is number 6 in the Earth's Children series which started out with the Clan of the Cave Bear.
I was really looking forward to this book I had read the series over again as soon as I found out number 6 was being released. This series has been 30 years in the making and I loved them so much. Maybe that was reason enough not to get too excited about this one, maybe there was no way it could live up to my expectations. This wasn't a bad book and since this was an advance copy maybe the editors will fix some of the things that weren't really right with it and make it more enjoyable. The main thing is that nothing really ever happens. The advance copy was a 757 pages long trade paper and NOTHING all that exciting happened in all those pages. It was too many repeats of things already covered in the other books. The titles repeated again and again, the tea preparations, the Mothers song, another bunch of renegade men for Ayla to deal with. At least Jondalar does something unexpected but it wasn't a good thing and it made me not like him any more and it ruined that for me. The beginning starts out with Ayla still an acolyte, training to be a Zelandoni (a shaman or medicine woman) they go on a tour of sacred cave sites to see the paintings put there by the ancients. They go from cave to cave, page after page and talk about the different paintings and what they think they all mean. This takes up a good half of the book. Very little happens through the whole thing, in places it was like she thought about writing something and you thought ok something is going to happen now but then she would just stop where she was going and start in about tea or introductions, or how "pleasures" really do make babies. I would liked to have seen less repetition and less about her having to make water and using the night basket, her moon cycles, Wolf taking a dump in the caves, and about her holding her daughter up to make water, it was all WAY unnecessary. I would loved to have read about them trying to start trade meetings with the clan with Ayla using their sign language, finding and raising more horses and showing other people how to train them. I also thought there should have been more about their daughter Jonayla, she's there, but her character just isn't explored enough for you to really get to know her. All in all, if you've read the whole series so far you'll want to read this one just to finish the story but don't be expecting anything much to happen, or for this to be a big wonderful finish. Now I wish she had just finished it with Plains of Passage or Shelter of Stones. If I ever read them again that's where I'm stopping.

No comments: