Books, books, and more books.


I LOVE BOOKS! That might not be that unusual but I also love all different genres of books. I read Science fiction, Christian fiction, Historical fiction, non fiction, Westerns, Teen books, kids books, and yes I like a good Vampire book. I've loved Vampires and Werewolves WAY before the Twilight books. I'm a bookseller at a retail book store so I get to be around books all day long. I've been a bookseller for two stores at different times so I've been doing this for over 13 years. Recently, with the advancement of ebook readers I've become a Nookseller, as well, selling Nook ebook readers, accessories, and ebooks. I have a Nookcolor which is wonderful and one of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten. I can carry THOUSANDS of books around with me and read as much as possible. When I thought about writing a blog, I thought why not write about the wonderful, and the not so wonderful books that I am reading. Maybe give somebody a behind the cover look at a book they are thinking about reading or helping them discover a new series. A way to share my love of books and the true joy that they can bring.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon

First off I can say if you loved Harry Potter and then moved on to Twilight and loved that you'll probably love this one as well. When Renee is out with a friend she finds herself being "called" to the middle of a redwood forest where she finds both of her parents dead. Her estranged grandfather comes into her life and takes over, sending her to a special school, Gottfried Academy. There Renee meets Dante a mysterious boy who she is immediately drawn to. The school is special, and very exclusive, with classes in Latin, horticulture, and imaginary math. Renee finds out she is being drawn to dead things, birds, deer, and realizes something isn't right. She also thinks one of the students that died has something to do with her parents since they were all found the same way, dead from heart attacks, with cloth and coins strewn about them. Then there are the upper classmen group who only speak Latin, the fact that when she touches Dante she feels a cold shock, and what's up with all the dead things? A new twist on the zombie stories. Lots of Latin language sections and mythology thrown in. It's like Bella went to Hogwarts with zombies thrown in. Not the best series I've read by far, but not the worst. I'm assuming this will be a series if it does well because it has one of those endings where it could end there or go on.

No comments: