Books, books, and more books.


I LOVE BOOKS! That might not be that unusual but I also love all different genres of books. I read Science fiction, Christian fiction, Historical fiction, non fiction, Westerns, Teen books, kids books, and yes I like a good Vampire book. I've loved Vampires and Werewolves WAY before the Twilight books. I'm a bookseller at a retail book store so I get to be around books all day long. I've been a bookseller for two stores at different times so I've been doing this for over 13 years. Recently, with the advancement of ebook readers I've become a Nookseller, as well, selling Nook ebook readers, accessories, and ebooks. I have a Nookcolor which is wonderful and one of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten. I can carry THOUSANDS of books around with me and read as much as possible. When I thought about writing a blog, I thought why not write about the wonderful, and the not so wonderful books that I am reading. Maybe give somebody a behind the cover look at a book they are thinking about reading or helping them discover a new series. A way to share my love of books and the true joy that they can bring.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Deserter: Bk. 1 in the Alford Series by Paul Almond

The Deserter is about a British Navy officer, Thomas Manning, who always dreamed of a life in the "New World". He jumps ship along the coast, near Canada, and runs for his life to the interior. If he's caught he gets 1000 lashes which of course is a slow death, so he's determined not to get caught. All he wants is freedom and his own land where he can make a farm and have a family. He is captured early on by natives of the Micmac tribe and after a discussion among the elders he is released. He stays long enough with them to realize they are not the "savages" he's always heard them to be but a kind, intelligent, giving people. He falls in love with Little Birch, a beautiful native girl and all his dreams become centered on her and his need to survive in the New World. When the chief sickens, Thomas will have to risk everything, including his life, to save a friend and help the people and woman he has grown to love. This is book one in a series based on the ancestors of the author. I really enjoyed this novel, if you like stories about Native Americans, Mountain Men, or just history in general I think you will enjoy this. Great start of a new series.

No comments: