Books, books, and more books.


I LOVE BOOKS! That might not be that unusual but I also love all different genres of books. I read Science fiction, Christian fiction, Historical fiction, non fiction, Westerns, Teen books, kids books, and yes I like a good Vampire book. I've loved Vampires and Werewolves WAY before the Twilight books. I'm a bookseller at a retail book store so I get to be around books all day long. I've been a bookseller for two stores at different times so I've been doing this for over 13 years. Recently, with the advancement of ebook readers I've become a Nookseller, as well, selling Nook ebook readers, accessories, and ebooks. I have a Nookcolor which is wonderful and one of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten. I can carry THOUSANDS of books around with me and read as much as possible. When I thought about writing a blog, I thought why not write about the wonderful, and the not so wonderful books that I am reading. Maybe give somebody a behind the cover look at a book they are thinking about reading or helping them discover a new series. A way to share my love of books and the true joy that they can bring.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar

A Christian fiction book about the biblical figure, Rahab. Rahab was sold into prostitution by her father when she was 15 years old. After years of taking lovers Rahab was unhappy with her life and ashamed of how she has lived it. When she learns about the Israelites and that their god doesn't require people to burn and sacrifice their children she starts thinking that this might be the god for her. The Israelites, let by Joshua, have been taking over all the surrounding cities and Rahab thinks that Jericho will be next. She saves two men that Joshua has sent to spy on Jericho with the promise that they will save her and her family when they invade the city. The men are impressed with her faith in God and promise to save her. All of this is in the bible, of course, but this book goes a little further with the story and tells about Rahab and Salmone, a respected leader of Israel, falling in love and trying to start a life together. Salmone has to learn to not just forget Rahabs past but to also forgive it and Rahab has the hardest job of all which is to forgive herself. I really enjoyed this book and think anybody that enjoys Christian fiction or just historical fiction will enjoy it. It is mild in the telling of Rahab when she is a harlot and of the sexual relationship of Rahab and Salmone, so it would be good for younger teens and up as well.

No comments: